Lots of people considering social media strategies for business and personal reasons [like job seeking] may not fully appreciate the value of blogging.
Dean recently conducted a workshop on the value of blogging for a Group of Marin Professionals. He began with his own experience:
“My own career really took off after I started to blog. It created a platform for me to position myself.”
“All consultants should have a blog,” Dean advised.
“Blogs are the Hub or Centerpiece of your online presence.”
He listed TEN BASIC REASON YOU SHOULD BLOG:
- Publishing Platform
- Control your Message
- Delivery system for your Messages
- 24/7 Online Network
- New Skill Development
- Increased Perception through Web 2.0 Sources
- Reputation Management [your silence allows your critics to win]
- Build Google Presence
- Research required increases your Expertise
Here is my representation of a diagram Dean offered to represent the BLOG ECOSYSTEM:
Dean also described six common myths that hold people back from blogging:
- Length: Some people think you have to write a lot. But the truth is that blog articles can me any size that a writer wants or needs to share the message.
- Daily consistency: Mistaken impression that bloggers all write every day. Some may, but most don’t. [See previous article with report on how often people blog.]
- Fear: Natural human feeling: “You’ll get over it,” Dean said.
- Resistance to new technology: Much easier than people think.
- What to say?: “People wonder what’s new that they can say. Probably not much, but it’s how you say it. What is your differentiating factor?”
- Who will read my blog?: Good question — No One unless you promote it.
For help in starting your own blog . . . from scratch, check out my two earlier articles:
BONUS: Here are six of the most popular type articles:
JUST DO IT — and when you have, please send me a link!