I’d expected some great answers to this challenge . . . but it turned out to be merely the question.
So I reasoned that I ought to spend a minute or two developing a workable strategy.
Read on for the “magical” answer.
But, first, how do YOU manage your Online/Social Media presence?
Pick one or two responses if they apply:
A. “I don’t.”
B. “Hey, that’s why I linked to this post.”
C. “I stay up late at night to go through the day’s email, RSS feeds, network friend requests, etc. etc. etc.”
D. “I go to sleep early so I can get up at 5 a.m. (or thereabouts) to do what Responder C [above] does.”
E. “I just DO IT!”
F. “I have a regular To Do List that I follow regularly.”
Basically, all of those responses could apply to me, but the last one — Response F — is the one that I suspect would work the best.
So I’m going to imagine an ideal Social Media Regimen:
1. Devote ONE HOUR in the morning. If that means going to sleep earlier, so be it.
2. Check email for action-required messages, i.e., work-related or family requests.
3. Keep jokes and noncritical email for some other time.
4. Select one or two blog posts [either because the title is intriguing or the poster him/herself typically has insightful things to say]: then READ and COMMENT.
5. If time, go to (a) Twitter/FriendFeed, followed by (b) Facebook, followed by (c) LinkedIn and WRITE AN UPDATE.
6. Finally, read through Tweets and other platform updates and COMMENT and send DMs.
Oh, only if the World were So Perfect!
Does a “plan” like what I’ve suggested work for any of you?
Do you have a different one?
What ONE TIP would you offer me and others about making the most of your Online/Social Media presence?
Next post: Guest Article from student-mom Shijia Yu, who discusses Twitter for Business