The next time you have the opportunity to meet and mingle with “strangers,” why not come prepared. Plan to ask questions, not sell anything. In today’s business world where selling is being replaced with engagement, your best bet is to find new clients through genuine conversation.
Ivan Misner, founder and chairman of BNI, the world’s largest business networking shares tips on a weekly podcast. Episode #183 discussed ten questions you should think about asking at your next networking event.
Memorize a few of these questions for your next networking event
- How did you get started in your business?
- What do you enjoy most about your profession?
- What separates you and your company from your competition?
- What advice would you give someone just starting out in your business?
- What one thing would you do with your business if you knew you could not fail?
- What significant changes have you seen take place in your profession through the years?
- What do you see as the coming trends in your business?
- What’s the strangest/funniest incident you’ve experienced in your business?
- What ways have you found to be most effective in promoting your business?
- What one sentence would you like people to use in describing the way you do your business?
Do’s and Don’ts for Networking