Can Social Media Predict the Academy Award Winners?
Chicken or Egg: Which came first?
If I write this blog article about how Jeff Bridges should win the Best Actor Oscar for his authentic portrayal of a washed up, alcoholic country singing legend in the semi-romantic film Crazy Heart –
(1) Will my article get lots of new readers after he wins?
(2) Will he win because I wrote about him?
If you join LinkedIn and completely fill out your profile, enter regular updates, answer questions, and participate in LinkedIn groups –
(1)Will someone find you and offer you the Job of a Lifetime?
(2)Will you connect to some really bright, supportive people who help you create the life you always wanted?
If you spend an hour a day on Facebook –
(1)Will you be found by your long-lost high school buddies [or significant other]?
(2) Will you participate in ways to deepen your current relationships?
If you keep your Tweetdeck desktop application open throughout the day and check it periodically –
(1) Will you accrue 15,000 followers
(2) Will you discover amazing information AND people you could never have found any other way?
Which comes first?
Knowing how to do something OR learning what needs to be done in order to do what you want done?